Imagine you’re in bed after a difficult day at work. You’ve just changed into your pajamas and the cushioning white linens are exactly what the doctor called for. As you close your eyes, it feels like you are drifting away on a cloud on a beautiful spring afternoon. Then just as you slip into a peaceful deep sleep, you feel a pinch on your leg. And then on your arm. And then your back. You jump out of bed and flick on the lights to find little brown specks crawling all over your bed and yourself. Bed bugs have infiltrated your home. Now what do you do?
Bed bugs are possibly the most difficult insects to get rid of. Although many believe cockroaches can last live through nuclear bombings, these insects seem just as resilient. You can’t just place traps for them like ants. You can’t lay out poison for them like mice. the only way to get rid of bed bugs is to hire the professionals to chemically remove them. However, there are some steps you can take to reduce the amount of insects in your home:
- Quarantine the area affected by the bugs. Try to make sure they don’t start spreading to other areas of your home.
- Vacuum your bed to suck out all of the bed bugs. When you remove the bag from the vacuum, make sure you throw it out in a secure place where the bugs won’t get out.
- Check all furniture in the quarantined room. Bed bugs like to hide in creases and creavices so make sure you empty all night stands and book shelves you may have.
- Bag bedding and clothing and put them through a hot rinse cycle. You can also leave your bagged items out in the sun on a series of particularly hot days but washing with hot water is a faster method.
- Cover to quarantined room in plastic. That means the mattress, your blankets and everything in between. Bed bugs can’t burrow through plastic.
Taking these precautions can help minimize the time these insects will spend at your place. The other huge step you should take is to hire a pest control company. These companies understand how difficult and costly this event can be, which is why they often offer affordable pest removal and discounts for new and returning customers. They use safe and humane techniques to remove pests so that your health is not jeopardized.
You don’t have to suffer with bed bugs in your home. Just follow these quick steps and contact a pest removal company to get your life back to normal.